Harvey Guzzini Orione Pendant Lamp
Materials: Orange acrylic lampshade. 4 chromed brass ornamental nuts, brass tubular screw. Chrome ornamental nut on top, brass screw. Bakelite socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 34 cm / 13.38”
Width: ∅ 35 cm / 13.77”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum,- 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. Everything depends on whether the lamp is with or without diffuser.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Ermanno Lampa and Sergio Brazzoli in 1968.
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: The Harvey Guzzini Orione pendant lamp exists in white and orange. As often with Harvey Guzzini lamps, they were sold with or without the white diffuser.
In the late seventies Stilnovo produced a very similar wall lamp in metal.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period. They are on display here on Vintageinfo.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Prototypes of this lamp were made from 1967 until 1974.
Sergio Brazzoli designed, together with the architect Ermanno Lampa many beautiful lamps for Harvey Guzzini; The Sirio table lamp in 1970 (picture below), the Orione pendant lamp in 1970, the Nastro wall lamp in 1970, the Alba floor lamp in 1973, the Albanella table lamp in 1973 and the Alf table lamp in 1976.
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.