Later and final version, the base is divided in two parts and thicker
Luigi Massoni was born in Milan, Italy on January 22nd 1930 and was a architect and designer. For some thirty years, he has also worked as a freelance journalist and editor. He lived in Recanati, near Milan were he died in 2013.
After years of education at the “Collettivo di Architettura” of Milan and his first professional experiences between 1953 and 1955, he began working for Alessi and created his famous Bar set. First in 1957 together with Carlo Mazzeri the cocktail shaker and a bit later the Serie 5 containers.
Together with architect Carlo De Carli, he founded “Il Mobile Italiano”. In 1959, associating a group of furniture industrialists, he founded “Mobilia”, one of the first centers for the promotion of Italian design.
Also in 1959, he began working for Boffi Cucine, realizing some of the first modular systems for the home and kitchen. For Boffi he created: the Dogu kitchen and bathroom, the Xila kitchen and bathroom, the Punto bathroom, the E15 kitchen, the AL15 kitchen and the A1 cupboard.
He was editor and director of “Marmo Tecnica Architettura” from 1956 until 1963. Thanks to his publications, he plays a key role in the development of industrial and craft-based businesses. His works are published in the most important Italian and foreign magazines and have been awarded numerous prizes and acknowledgements.
In 1962, Luigi Massoni meets the brothers Raimondo, Giovanni and Giuseppe Guzzini in Milan: it is the beginning of a fruitful collaboration. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini, what later changed in iGuzzini, until 1976. Not only he was the art director but the coordinator of communication and advertising campaign, bringing, as pointed out by Adolfo Guzzini “a purification of the form” and “rationality as a new social status “. He also designed the logo of Harvey Guzzini as you can see below.
Luigi Massoni designed some of the most beautiful lamps for Harvey Guzzini, such as the Brumbry, the Alvise, the Moana, and this lamp the Toledo.
From this experience he improved the image of many Italian and worldwide industries operating in many sectors: Furnishings; Plastics; Glass; Ceramics; Metals; Precious metals; Leather; Giftware; Household articles and so on. To name a few companies: Cedit (ceramics), Gabbianelli (ceramics), Venini (glass), Nazareno Gabrielli (bags), Poltrona Frau (leather seats), Gallotti & Radice (Adam glass table)…
Harvey Guzzini Toledo Table Lamp
Materials: Plastic (acrylic/methacrylate) and orange painted metal. The lampshade is degrading orange (light to dark orange) on the outside, complete white on the inside. Harvey Guzzini wanted to create the incamiciato effect, the same way many Murano glass lamps are made.
Height: 42 cm / 16.53”
Width: ∅ 45 cm / 17.71”
Electricity: 3 bulbs E14, 3 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. But white/opaque or frosted bulbs gives the most beautiful result.
Period: 1960s and 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Luigi Massoni (1930 – 2013).
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy, today named iGuzzini.
Other versions: 1st edition en second edition. Also made with a white lampshade en chromed base. An orange lampshade with a white base. And a white lampshade with an orange base. Possibly other forms as the one with a different lamp shade below.
Prototypes were made from 1967 until 1973.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in 1959 under the name Harvey Creazioni. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey in the 1950s.
The initial production of enameled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass.
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.