iGuzzini Baobab Floor Lamp
Materials: White painted weighted metal half round globe base. Long chromed metal (iron) rod. White and translucent acrylic mushroom lampshade. 2 white painted Bakelite E27 sockets.
Height: 160 cm / 62.99”
Width: ∅ 45 cm / 17.71”
Base: ∅ 34 cm / 13.38”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E27, 2 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, no specific one is preferred. But a white opal or frosted bulb gives the best result.
Period: 1970s, 1980s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: The design team of iGuzzini.
Manufacturer: iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A via Mariano Guzzini, 37. 62019, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: This iGuzzini Baobab floor lamp also exists in black and ochre. Two table lamps (small and big) and a ceiling lamp also exists. In all probability also produced in several other colours. A version was spotted on 1stDibs with a brass base, rod and screw on top. That is not original, it is a Frankenstein lamp.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
The design of the white and transparent acrylic lampshade was also used for the “Bella di notte” lamp and the “Kuala” lamp of Franco Bresciani.
The same idea was also used for a special edition of the Brumbry table lamp.
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.