Harvey Guzzini Clear Pendant Lamp
Materials: Round white acrylic mushroom lampshade. Half round white acrylic diffuser below. Chromed metal (iron) ring and parts. Some plastic parts. Steel wire, adjustable ornamental screws. Chrome canopy. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49” – adjustable
Height: 25,5 cm / 10,03”
Width: ∅ 45 cm / 17.71”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But preferably a white or frosted bulb.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Luigi Massoni (1930 – 2013) in 1968.
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, via Mariano Guzzini, 37. 62019, Recanati, Italy, today named iGuzzini.
Other versions: The Harvey Guzzini Clear pendant lamp exists in 2 versions. The Clear pendant lamp in acrylic as described above, and the bigger Nube pendant lamp 58 x 30 cm (22.83 x 11.81”). The diffuser of the Nube is always made in white opal glass. Made in white, orange and probably some other colours. The Nube has a slightly different form as you can see in the diagram/scheme with the dimensions. Nube = cloud.
Luigi Massoni was born in Milan, Italy on January 22nd 1930. He was an architect and designer. For some thirty years, Massoni also worked as a freelance journalist and editor. He lived in Recanati, near Milan were he died in 2013.
After years of education at the “Collettivo di Architettura” of Milan and his first professional experiences between 1953 and 1955, he began working for Alessi and created his famous Bar set. First in 1957 together with Carlo Mazzeri the cocktail shaker and a bit later the Serie 5 containers.
Together with architect Carlo De Carli, he founded “Il Mobile Italiano”. In 1959, associating a group of furniture industrialists, he founded “Mobilia”, one of the first centres for the promotion of Italian design.
Also in 1959, he began working for Boffi Cucine, realising some of the first modular systems for the home and kitchen. For Boffi he created: the Dogu kitchen and bathroom, the Xila kitchen and bathroom, the Punto bathroom, the E15 kitchen, the AL15 kitchen and the A1 cupboard.
He was editor and director of “Marmo Tecnica Architettura” from 1956 until 1963. Thanks to his publications, he plays a key role in the development of industrial and craft-based businesses. His works are published in the most important Italian and foreign magazines and have been awarded numerous prizes and acknowledgements.
In 1962, Luigi Massoni meets the brothers Raimondo, Giovanni and Giuseppe Guzzini in Milan: it is the beginning of a fruitful collaboration. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini, what later changed in iGuzzini, until 1976. Not only he was the art director but the coordinator of communication and advertising campaign, bringing, as pointed out by Adolfo Guzzini “a purification of the form” and “rationality as a new social status “. He also designed the logo of Harvey Guzzini as you can see below.
Luigi Massoni designed some of the most beautiful lights for Harvey Guzzini, such as the Brumbry, the Moana, the Toledo, the Alvise and these two lamps the Clear and Nube.
From this experience he improved the image of many Italian and worldwide industries operating in many sectors: Furnishings; Plastics; Glass; Ceramics; Metals; Precious metals; Leather; Giftware; Household articles and so on. To name a few companies: Cedit (ceramics), Gabbianelli (ceramics), Venini (glass), Nazareno Gabrielli (bags), Poltrona Frau (leather seats), Gallotti & Radice (Adam glass table)…
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. The name Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.