1970s iGuzzini Baobab Table Lamp
Materials: Made of a truncated cone base in turned metal. Closed by an ABS base. It supports the mushroom lampshade in black and translucent acrylic (methacrylate). Bakelite sockets.
Height: 62 cm / 24.40”
Width: ∅ 45 cm / 17.71”
Base: ∅ 22 cm / 8.66”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E27, 2 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But preferably clear or bright bulbs.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: The design team of iGuzzini.
Manufacturer: iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A via Mariano Guzzini, 37. 62019, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: Also made in white, ochre and some variations. A table lamp with a black base and a white lampshade and vise versa was produced.
A version exist with a total black or total white lampshade, without the transparent rim.
Exist also in a smaller version: model 4048 (37 x 51 cm – 14.56 x 20.07”). This version was in production until 1992. It only has a black or white lampshade, without the transparent rim.
The big lamp (this one), model 4044 was made from 1978 until 1982.
Also made as a floor lamp and a pendant lamp.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in 1959 by Raimondo Guzzini under the name Harvey Creazioni. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enameled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
The same type of lampshade was also made for a rare design or special edition of the Brumbry table lamp.
The same design was also used for the “Bella di notte” lamp and the “Kuala” lamp of Franco Bresciani.
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.