Harvey Guzzini Alvise Pendant Lamp
Materials: White acrylic tubular lampshade. Chromed metal (iron) parts. Chrome ring on top of the lampshade. Steel wire. Chromed plastic canopy. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 59 cm / 23.22”
Width: ∅ 44 cm / 17.32”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. For the lamps with a diffuser a normal white/opaque bulb is preferable. For the versions without diffuser a white/opaque globe lamp gives the best result.
Period: 1960s and 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Luigi Massoni (1930 – 2013).
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy, today named iGuzzini.
Other versions: The Harvey Guzzini Alvise pendant lamp was also made as a floor lamp and a table lamp. They were at least made in white and orange. The first edition was not in chrome. These lamps were first sold by Design House (models DS.1, DS.2, DS.3). The metal parts were painted white. Also a version of the floor lamp with a rectangular marble base exists.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period. They are on display here on Vintageinfo.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Harvey Guzzini lamps were also sold under the brand name MEBLO. MEBLO is a Slovenian (Yugoslavia) company.
The MEBLO factory was founded in 1948 when Gorizia craftsmen joined forces and founded the Furniture Factory, later named Edvard Kardelj (communist leader and national hero of World War II). In 1950 the name changed in MEBLO.
At first, they made exclusive furniture, which was later supplemented with upholstered furniture, lighting, plastic and mattresses.
MEBLO also produced plastic chairs and tables, plasticised metal garden tables and chairs, plastic chairs for sports halls, plastic flower beds, mirrors and plastic bathroom equipment (design by Luigi Massoni), wooden set of club tables, shelves, buffet carts and mirrors (design by Gianfranco Frattini).
The last lamps were produced around 1990, 1991 until the break-up of Yugoslavia.
Today the company is named MebloJOGI. It only produces mattresses for beds.
Prototypes of this lamp were made from 1963 until 1967.
Luigi Massoni was born in Milan, Italy on January 22nd 1930. He was an architect and designer. For some thirty years, Massoni also worked as a freelance journalist and editor. He lived in Recanati, near Milan were he died in 2013.
After years of education at the “Collettivo di Architettura” of Milan and his first professional experiences between 1953 and 1955, he began working for Alessi and created his famous Bar set. First in 1957 together with Carlo Mazzeri the cocktail shaker and a bit later the Serie 5 containers.
Together with architect Carlo De Carli, he founded “Il Mobile Italiano”. In 1959, associating a group of furniture industrialists, he founded “Mobilia”, one of the first centers for the promotion of Italian design.
Also in 1959, he began working for Boffi Cucine, realizing some of the first modular systems for the home and kitchen. For Boffi he created: the Dogu kitchen and bathroom, the Xila kitchen and bathroom, the Punto bathroom, the E15 kitchen, the AL15 kitchen and the A1 cupboard.
He was editor and director of “Marmo Tecnica Architettura” from 1956 until 1963. Thanks to his publications, he plays a key role in the development of industrial and craft-based businesses. His works are published in the most important Italian and foreign magazines and have been awarded numerous prizes and acknowledgements.
In 1962, Luigi Massoni meets the brothers Raimondo, Giovanni and Giuseppe Guzzini in Milan: it is the beginning of a fruitful collaboration. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini, what later changed in iGuzzini, until 1976. Not only he was the art director but the coordinator of communication and advertising campaign, bringing, as pointed out by Adolfo Guzzini “a purification of the form” and “rationality as a new social status “. He also designed the logo of Harvey Guzzini as you can see below.
Luigi Massoni designed some of the most beautiful lights for Harvey Guzzini, such as the Brumbry, the Moana, the Toledo and this lamp set, the Alvise.
From this experience he improved the image of many Italian and worldwide industries operating in many sectors: Furnishings; Plastics; Glass; Ceramics; Metals; Precious metals; Leather; Giftware; Household articles and so on. To name a few companies: Cedit (ceramics), Gabbianelli (ceramics), Venini (glass), Nazareno Gabrielli (bags), Poltrona Frau (leather seats), Gallotti & Radice (Adam glass table), and so on.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.