iGuzzini Medusa Table Lamp
Materials: Conical chromed metal (iron) base in two parts. Brown degrading acrylic mushroom lampshade, white on the inside. Chrome ornamental screw on top. Some metal parts. 3 Bakelite E14 sockets.
Height: 40 cm / 15.74”
Width: ∅ 35 cm / 13.77”
Base: ∅ 24 cm / 9.44”
Electricity: 3 bulbs E14, 3 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. But white or frosted bulbs gives the most beautiful result.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Luigi Massoni (1930 – 2013).
Manufacturer: iGuzzini, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: This iGuzzini Medusa table lamp exists in several varieties. Not only a first and a second edition exists of this table lamp, but it was sold with or without a white diffuser below. Also pendant lamps were made.
The first editions have a slightly different, thinner base in aluminium and some versions have another ornamental screw on top with a handle. The second edition was made “tighter”, in chrome and more “modern”.
Almost the same thing happened with the Toledo table lamp, a very similar lamp with the same base but with a different lampshade. You can find this lamp over here on Vintageinfo.
Prototypes were made from 1965 until 1973.
This iGuzzini Medusa table lamp was also sold by MEBLO. They named it Meduza.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Harvey Guzzini lamps were also sold under the brand name MEBLO. MEBLO is a Slovenian (Yugoslavia) company.
The MEBLO factory was founded in 1948 when Gorizia craftsmen joined forces and founded the Furniture Factory, later named Edvard Kardelj (communist leader and national hero of World War II). In 1950 the name changed in MEBLO.
At first, they made exclusive furniture, which was later supplemented with upholstered furniture, lighting, plastic and mattresses.
MEBLO also produced plastic chairs and tables, plasticised metal garden tables and chairs, plastic chairs for sports halls, plastic flower beds, mirrors and plastic bathroom equipment (design by Luigi Massoni), wooden set of club tables, shelves, buffet carts and mirrors (design by Gianfranco Frattini).
The last lamps were produced around 1990, 1991 until the break-up of Yugoslavia.
Today the company is named MebloJOGI. It only produces mattresses for beds.
Often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Lamps in the movies
A rare seen metallic green iGuzzini Medusa table lamp was used as a prop in the 1968 film Diabolik or Danger: Diabolik. An action film produced by Dino De Laurentiis based on the Italian comic series Diabolik by Angela and Luciana Giussani. Starring John Phillip Law, Marisa Mell, Michel Piccoli, Adolfo Celi and Terry-Thomas.
An orange iGuzzini Medusa table lamp was used as a prop in the 1993 action comedy film Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow. starring: George Gaynes, Michael Winslow and David Graf.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.