iGuzzini Baobab Pendant Lamp
Materials: Black half round acrylic mushroom lampshade with a clear rim. Some chrome parts. Steel wire, black spiral cord. Chromed plastic canopy. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 100 cm / 39.37’’
Height: 23,5 cm / 9.25”
Width: ∅ 37 cm / 14.56”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1970s, 1980s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: The iGuzzini design team.
Manufacturer: iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A via Mariano Guzzini, 37. 62019, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: This iGuzzini Baobab pendant lamp exists at least in white and ochre. Also made in a slightly bigger version. Versions exists with a white acrylic diffuser below, as you can see. A table lamp and floor lamp were also produced. Sometimes spotted with a normal wire. It is unclear if the wire is replaced or original.
Prototypes were made from 1974 until 1981.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
iGuzzini Baobab pendant lamp – scheme
The same type of lampshade was also made for a special edition of the Brumbry table lamp.
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.