Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lights moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100st anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lightingof the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill & Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.
Peill + Putzler Bedside Lamps
Materials: White and clear striped crystal hand blown glass. Metal bar. Bakelite sockets.
Height: 22 cm / 8.66”
Width: ∅ 14 cm / 5.51”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb with an E27 screw base can be used. For this type of table lamp preferable an opaque/white light bulb.
Period: 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s.
Designer: Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner (1920-2003) – attributed.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, Germany
These table lamps are often presented as a lamp from Murano, Italy. Similar lamps were produced on the island. It appears that Venini and some other companies made lamps like these. Several other lamp producers sold similar lamps, often made in China. You find them regularly for sale as a lamp from the Vetri company. Vetri is only the Italian word for glass. Cheap made copies were among others sold by Massive Lighting from Belgium. You find them in many colours.
It is possible that these two lamps are designed by Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner. He designed several lamps for Peill + Putzler. It is also possible that Peill + Putzler used his designs in other lamps. Many of his light designs received awards.
These lamps are a late production from the 1990s. The electric parts are from that period. In all probability produced in Slovenia, Poland or the Czech Republic. You find these lamps with electric parts that were made from the 1950s until now. Several variations were produced.
Below a pendant lamp with the same stripes he designed in the 1950s. They were produced for a very long time.
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner was born in Reichenberg, Germany in 1920. He studied at the Staatliche Fachschule für Glasindustrie (State Technical College for the Glass Industry) in Zwiesel for 1934 until 1935. He worked as a freelancer for Peill + Putzler from 1953 until 1958. Several of his designs were also sold by Raak Amsterdam, but were produced by Peill + Putzler. He designed several lamps with the same stripes as these ones.
Later he started to work as an independent for, among others, Erco lighting, also from Germany. Gangkofner also designed lamps in the 1960s for Reininghaus & Co from Lüdenscheid, Germany which won several iFdesign awards. He died in Munich (München), Germany in 2003.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner website
Wikipedia about Peill + Putzler
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner iFdesign Awards
Peill + Putzler lamps on Vintageinfo
Lamps designed by Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner on Vintageinfo
Vistosi lamps on Vintageinfo
Murano lamps on Vintageinfo
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner “Tossa” Pendant Lamp