Links (external links open in a new window)
Wikipedia: Peill & Putzler
Glashütte Düren: glashuette-dueren.de
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner “Tossa” Pendant Lamp
Materials: Crystal incamiciato hand blown glass, striped on the outside, white on the inside. Metal parts. Metal socket.
Cord Length: 100 cm / 39.37’’
Height: 49 cm / 19.29”
Width: 21 cm / 8.26”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. But a white, opaque or frosted one gives the most beautiful result.
Period: 1950s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner (1920-2003).
Manufacturer: Peill & Putzler, Düren, Germany.
This lamp is part of a collection of over 40 lamps that came out of a school in Belgium.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass. A technique first used on the Venetian Island Murano, hence the Italian name.
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner was born in Reichenberg, Germany in 1920. He studied at the Staatliche Fachschule für Glasindustrie (State Technical College for the Glass Industry) in Zwiesel for 1934 until 1935. He worked as a freelancer for Peill & Putzler from 1953 until 1958. After that he started to work as an independent for Erco lighting, also in Germany. He died in München, Germany in 2003.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with other important designers as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Horst Tüselmann and so on.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lights moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100st anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill & Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.
Many thanks to Thomas.