Peill + Putzler 1415 Pendant Lamps
Materials: Hand blown crystal clear and brown/yellow/amber glass with a black rim. Metal sockets.
Cord: This one has an adjustable rise & fall mechanism (40 – 140 cm / 15.74 – 55.11’’), and can be easily adjusted in height by grabbing the lamp with both hands, and pulling it gently. They were also made with a standard cord attached.
Height: 34 cm / 13.38”
Width: ∅ 38 cm / 14.96”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Atelier Peill + Putzler.
Other versions: Also made in green. Produced with different models of ornamental nuts.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Glashüttenwerke GmbH, Düren, Germany.
This pendant lamp won the iF Design award in 1978.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100st anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.
Many thanks to Frank from Flowermountain.be for the photos and the enthusiasm.