Peill + Putzler UFO Pendant Lamps
Materials: Hand blown clear green and brown crystal glass, white on the inside (incamiciato). Plastic canopy, Bakelite or metal socket.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 40 cm / 15.75”
Width: ∅ 50 cm / 19.68”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Other versions: Made in several colours and sizes.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, (West) Germany.
Model: AH11 (green) AH12 (brown). The model numbers starting with AH were only used in the late 1960s, early 1970s.
Incamiciato: Overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass. It’s an Italian word, because the technique was invented on the Murano Island of Venice.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100st anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.
Many thanks to Frank from Flowermountain.be for the photos and the enthusiasm.