iGuzzini Baobab Table Lamp
Materials: Conical white painted metal base which supports the white acrylic mushroom lampshade. 2 Bakelite sockets.
Height: 51 cm / 20.07”
Width: ∅ 37 cm / 14.56”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E27, 2 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but preferably 2 white/frosted bulbs.
Period: 1970s, 1980s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: The design team of iGuzzini.
Manufacturer: iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A via Mariano Guzzini, 37. 62019, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: The iGuzzini Baobab table lamp exists in white, black and ochre. A floor lamp and a ceiling lamp were also made. Exists also in a big version: model 4044 (45 x 62 cm – 17.71 x 24.40”) This small version was in production until 1992. The big one, model 4044 only from 1978 until 1982. Probably also made in other colours, but rare.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Links (external links open in a new window)
White Baobab floor lamp
Big black Baobab table lamp
Baobab pendant lamp
Medusa table lamp
Toledo table lamp
Brumbry table lamp
Jolly pendant lamp
Alvise pendant lamp
Sorella desk lamp
Flash floor lamp
Best pendant lamp
Dada flush mount
Other Harvey Guzzini – iGuzzini lamps
Lamps in the movies
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.