Peill + Putzler Duotone Pendant Lamp
Materials: Hand blown round white opal and clear red, & green crystal glass lampshade. Metal suspension mechanism. Bakelite E14 socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49”
Height: 20 cm / 7.87”
Width: ∅ 12 cm / 4.72”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, (West) Germany.
Other versions: This Peill + Putzler duotone pendant lamp exists in several colours. Other models in this duotone glass were also produced as you can see.
These type of lamps became popular in the late 1950s, early 1960s. Many companies produced lamps in this duotone style.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2008 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for several years for among others the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference centre.