Motoko Ishii Staff Pendant Lamp
Materials: Long chrome tube with a black plastic lid on top. Clear glass globe lampshade with a metal screw-thread. Bakelite E14 socket.
Height: 40 cm / 15.74”
Width: ∅ 15 cm / 5.90”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 25 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Not any type of light bulb can be used. It has to be an elongated tubular bulb.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Motoko Ishii.
Manufacturer: Staff & Schwarz Leuchtenwerke GMBH, Lemgo, Germany.
Other versions: This Motoko Ishii Staff pendant lamp exists in many versions. Cascading pendant lamps together. Big and small chandeliers. A sputnik chandelier and so on. All with this screw-in glass globes. They exists in clear, white, frosted and silver tipped glass.
These series of lamps received an iF Design Award in 1977.
Motoko Ishii, born October 15, 1938 is a lighting designer from Japan. In 1965, she went to Finland to study designing lighting equipment. She worked at lighting-design offices in Finland and Germany until 1967. In Germany Motoko Ishii studied architectural illumination. Returning to Japan in 1968, she established the Ishii Motoko Design Office.
For Staff and the Yamagiwa Electric Co. LTD, she designed many lamps. You can find the awarded ones on the iF Design Award website. These lamps were sold by both companies.
Motoko Ishii’s Staff designs are often confused with the designs of Rolf Krüger. You can find his designs for Staff over here.
Staff Leuchten – Staff & Schwarz Leuchtenwerk (lighting plant) – was established by Alfred Staff and Otto Schwarz in Lemgo, (West) Germany in 1945.
Their business started as a shop for consumer goods in wood and metal as well as pesticide for controlling the Colorado potato beetle, a huge problem at that time.
Within a year they the company expanded with 15 employees and they produced the first wrought iron luminaires. Over the next three decades, Staff was to develop into a world leader in design excellence, receiving over 200 awards for their achievements.
Staff also collaborated with the Italian company Stilnovo. They published a joint catalogue in the 1970s. The Dutch Raak and the Danish Lyfa sold several lamps in the 60s and 70s. Several other companies did.
In 1994 Zumtobel bought the company.
Links (external links open in a new window)
History of the company can be found here: 60 Years of Light from Lemgo – Zumtobel plant celebrates historic milestones