Links (external links open in a new window)
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner website
iF-Design awards for Peill + Putzler
Lamps by Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner Granada Pendant Lamp
Materials: Crystal vetro doublé hand blown white opal glass convex lampshade. Clear frosted, satin on the outside, white on the inside. Some metal parts. Metal E27 socket.
Cord Length: 100 cm / 39.37’’
Height: 50,5 cm / 19.88”
Width: ∅ 22 cm / 8.66”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. But a white, opaque or frosted one gives the most beautiful result.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner (1920-2003).
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, Germany.
Other versions: This Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner Granada pendant lamp exists with several designs, but the same model. Some small variations in height. These lamps are all hand blown.
Vetro Doublé: an object made of two layers of glass normally of two different colours. In this case clear frosted/satin/matt on the outside and white on the inside.
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner was born in Reichenberg, Germany in 1920. He studied at the Staatliche Fachschule für Glasindustrie (State Technical College for the Glass Industry) in Zwiesel from 1934 until 1935. He worked as a freelancer for Peill & Putzler from 1953 until 1958. After that he started to work as an independent for the ERCO lighting company, also from Germany. He died in Munich, Germany in 2003.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Massive from Belgium (and many others).
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2008 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for several years for among others the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference centre.
Vetro Doublé: an object made of two layers of glass normally of two different colours.
Vintageinfo – Peill + Putzler lamps
Another striped mushroom table lamp