Vintageinfo – Peill + Putzler lamps
Another striped mushroom table lamp
Many thanks to Lluís from Eclectique Vintage for the photos and the enthusiasm.
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner Bologna Pendant Lamp
Materials: Ribbed white opal oval glass globe lampshade. Some metal parts. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 100 cm / 39.37’’
Height: 42 cm / 16.53”
Width: ∅ 39 cm / 15.35”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. But a white, opaque or frosted one gives the most beautiful result.
Period: 1950s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner (1920-2003).
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, Germany.
Other versions: This Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner Bologna pendant lamp exists in a few sizes. This one is model AH 22. It was also produced in the 60s and 70s by Peill + Putzler.
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner was born in Reichenberg, Germany in 1920. He studied at the Staatliche Fachschule für Glasindustrie (State Technical College for the Glass Industry) in Zwiesel from 1934 until 1935. He worked as a freelancer for Peill & Putzler from 1953 until 1958. After that he started to work as an independent for the ERCO lighting company, also from Germany. He died in Munich, Germany in 2003.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke, often named Peill & Putzler.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Massive from Belgium (and many others).
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2008 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for several years for among others the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference centre.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner website
Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner iFdesign Awards
iF-Design awards for Peill + Putzler