Gebrüder Cosack UFO Desk Lamp
Materials: Round cast iron base, painted with black wrinkle paint. Curved brass rod. Black painted brass mushroom lampshade, also painted with wrinkle paint. It is painted white inside. 2 brass ornamental screws. Some brass parts. Brass E27 socket.
Height: 40 cm / 15.74”
Lampshade: ∅ 35 cm / 13.77”
Base: ∅ 15 cm / 5.90”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Karl-Heinz Kinsky.
Manufacturer: Gebrüder Cosack, Neheim-Hüsten, Germany.
Other versions: The Gebrüder Cosack UFO desk lamp was made in several colours. It is model 7675. The numbers after the slash are the colours. This black one is a strange model with the brass nuts on top. Or it is repaired, or it is a special model.
The Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) company was founded in 1833 as a metal processing plant in Neheim-Hüsten, Germany by Egon, Friedrich and Theodor Cosack together with Gottliebe Tappe. It was named Metallwarenfabrik Tapp + Cosack. In the beginning they made liturgical items, crosses and upholstery nails made of brass and they also produced kerosene lamps. Later the company came to the production of electric lamps.
In 1921 a cardboard factory was started, originally for packaging the Cosack Group‘s own products, including lights, nails, rivets and kitchen appliances.
After the Second World War Cosack pursued a modern direction. A best seller were copper lighting for restaurants. The company was declared bankrupt in 1984.
The cardboard factory still exists. The sixth generation is now running the business at the Cosack plant.
Best known designers: Gottfried Stürzenhofecker, K. H. Kinsky, Hans Wilfried Hegger, Hans-Joachim Groth, Burkhard Panteleit, Joachim O. Becker, Prof. Friedrich Becker, Waldemar Rothe and Jan Armgardt.
Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) received 15 iF Design Awards.
This desk lamp, model 7675 received an iF-Design Award in 1956.
The socket of this desk lamp was made by BJB. BJB is Brökelmann, Jäger and Busse, BJB GmbH & Co. KG. The BJB company was founded in 1867 and started with petroleum lighting. The company still exists. Today they produce LED lamps, terminal blocks and connectors, lamp holders for conventional lighting and switches. They are active in the whole world. BJB GmbH & Co. KG is located on Werler Strasse 1, 59755, Arnsberg, Germany.
The switch was made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan in Italy. Today VLM Components is owned By Relco. It is one of the biggest suppliers of switches, cords and plugs in Europe. VLM Components became famous for the switches they produced that were designed by Achille Castiglioni.