Cosack Glass Grains Floor Lamp
Materials: 2 thick tubes base. Dark gold painted rectangular iron frame. 2 rectangular orange, red & yellow glass plates lampshade sprinkled with many broken glass grains. Bakelite E27 sockets.
Height: 43 cm / 16.92”
Width: 20 cm / 7.87”
Depth: 8 cm / 3.14”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E27, 2 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Gebrüder Cosack, Neheim-Hüsten, Germany.
Other versions: This Cosack glass grains floor lamp exists in several colours. Also made with big broken glass parts. Made in several colours. Often used as a table lamp. Several sizes of wall lamps exists. Also pendant lamps were made.
The style of these type of lamps is often named Brutalist. Not to be confused with the Brutalist architecture, or Brutalism from the same period. That’s something completely different.
The Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) company was founded in 1833 as a metal processing plant in Neheim-Hüsten, Germany by Egon, Friedrich and Theodor Cosack together with Gottliebe Tappe. It was named Metallwarenfabrik Tapp + Cosack. In the beginning they made liturgical items, crosses and upholstery nails made of brass and they also produced kerosene lamps. Later the company came to the production of electric lamps.
In 1921 a cardboard factory was started, originally for packaging the Cosack Group‘s own products, including lights, nails, rivets and kitchen appliances.
After the Second World War Cosack pursued a modern direction. A best seller were copper lighting for restaurants. The company was declared bankrupt in 1984.
The cardboard factory still exists. The sixth generation is now running the business at the Cosack plant.
Best known designers: Gottfried Stürzenhofecker, K. H. Kinsky, Hans Wilfried Hegger, Hans-Joachim Groth, Burkhard Panteleit, Joachim O. Becker, Prof. Friedrich Becker, Waldemar Rothe and Jan Armgardt.
Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) received 15 iF Design Awards.
The electric parts were made by VLM Components from Buccinasco, near Milan in Italy. Today VLM Components is owned by Relco. It is one of the biggest suppliers of switches, cords and plugs in Europe. VLM Components became famous for the switches they produce that were designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.