1970s Cosack Globe Desk Lamp
Materials: Orange aluminium globe lampshade, white painted inside. Round orange aluminium base, cast iron inside. Clear acrylic ornamental adjustment screw. Chrome rod and parts. Galvanised metal socket.
Height: 52 cm / 20.47”
Lampshade: ∅ 22 cm / 8.66”
Base: ∅ 18 cm / 67.08”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Gottfried or Ursula Stürzenhofecker in 1972.
Manufacturer: Gebrüder Cosack, Neheim-Hüsten, Germany.
Other versions: This 1970s Cosack globe desk lamp exists in several colours: yellow, ochre, white, and so on. Lamps were made with a slightly different base. Also produced with 2 globes opposite to each other. Also a floor lamp was produced, the lampshades are bigger than this one. The floor lamp was also produced with 2 globes. This lamp is model 7964.
The Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) company was founded in 1848 as a metal processing plant in Neheim-Hüsten, Germany by Egon, Friedrich and Theodor Cosack. In the beginning they made liturgical items and crosses made of brass and they also produced kerosene lamps. Later the company came to the production of electric lamps. Cosack is the oldest Neheim lamp factory.
After the Second World War Cosack pursued a modern direction. A best seller were copper lighting for restaurants. The company was declared bankrupt in 1984.
Best known designers: Ursula or Gottfried Stürzenhofecker (unclear, they are both designers), K. H. Kinsky.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
The socket of this desk lamp was made by BJB. BJB is Brökelmann, Jäger and Busse, BJB GmbH & Co. KG. The BJB company was founded in 1867 and started with petroleum lighting. The company still exists. Today they produce LED lamps, terminal blocks and connectors, lamp holders for conventional lighting and switches. They are active in the whole world. BJB GmbH & Co. KG is located on Werler Strasse 1, 59755, Arnsberg, Germany.
The switch was made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan in Italy. Today VLM Components is owned By Relco. It is one of the biggest suppliers of switches, cords and plugs in Europe. VLM Components became famous because of the switches they produce that were designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.