Peill + Putzler Petticoat Pendant Lamp
Materials: Incamiciato yellow-orange and red striped hand blown clear crystal glass lampshade, white on the inside. Brass round cone top with 3 ornamental brass screws. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 29 cm / 11.41”
Width: ∅ 32 cm / 12.59”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt max – 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. A white, opaque or frosted one gives the most beautiful result.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, Germany.
Other versions: This Peill + Putzler petticoat pendant lamp exists in many different forms, colours and sizes.
These type of lamps are often named “Fazzoletto” lamps. The Italian word for handkerchief. The Fazzoletto vase is a 1948 design by Fulvio Bianconi (1915 – 1996) for Venini. This pendant lamp has more similarities with a petticoat than a handkerchief.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass. A technique first used on the Venetian Island Murano, hence the Italian name.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and so on.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lights moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2008 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for several years for among others the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference centre.