Peill + Putzler Bubble Glass Table Lamp
Materials: Smoked & brown hand blown crystal bubble glass (pulegoso) bottle style globe base. Some iron and brass parts. Brown round fabric lampshade. Galvanised metal (iron) sockets.
Total Height: 52 cm / 20.47”
Height: 35 cm / 13.77”
Width: 28 cm / 11.02”
Base: ∅ 23 cm / 9.05”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum. 1 bulb E14, 1 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt. Any type of light bulb can be used. Not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Other versions: This Peill + Putzler bubble glass table lamp exists in several sizes, this lamp is model 72071.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, (West) Germany.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100th anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2008 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for several years for among others the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference centre.
The company is often named Peill & Putzler (even on Wikipedia) but that is wrong, it is Peill + Putzler.
Pulegoso: Italian word taken from the dialect word pulega, which means bubble. The glass is containing numerous bubbles of all sizes, produced by adding bicarbonate/soda, gasoline, or other substances to the glass. The bubbles make the glass semi-opaque and give the surface an irregular texture. The technique was developed in the 1920s by Napoleone Martinuzzi (1892-1977) on the island of Murano, Italy and used for the first time by the famous Venini company.