Links (external links open in a new window)
This lamp as a flush mount, model B-1043
Suomi pendant lamp
Step By Step wall lamp
1950s ceiling lamp
Tropic table lamp
Fuga wall lamp
Other Raak lamps
1958 Raak Additional Catalogue 4
1962 Raak Catalogue 5
1968 Raak Catalogue 8
1972 Raak Catalogue 9
1978 Raak Catalogue 11
Val Saint Lambert lamps
Peill + Putzler lamps
Raak B-1044 Pendant Lamp
Materials: 2 pressed crystal glass half round shells. 2 brushed anodised aluminium rings. White painted metal ring in the middle. Some metal and brass parts. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 18 cm / 7.08”
Width: ∅ 35 cm / 13.77”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but preferable a clear one.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Raak Lichtarchitectuur, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Other versions: The Raak B-1044 pendant lamp exists also in copper coloured anodised aluminium.
This pendant lamp was made for a short while, it only appears in the Raak catalogue 8 from 1968. In catalogue 9 from 1972 it is not mentioned anymore.
The Belgian Massive company produced a very similar pendant lamp, as you can see below. It is often confused with the Raak B-1044 pendant lamp.
The Dutch company Raak Lichtarchitectuur (Light architecture) was founded in 1954 by Carel O. Lockhorn (18 June 1923 – 6 October 2004), a previous employee of Philips Lighting Eindhoven. Raak, which means “to hit” in Dutch, implies design which precisely “hits the nail on the head”.
Raak is best known for their organic modern design of the 1960s and 1970s which combined glass & metals for a sophisticated futuristic style.
The light company collaborated with several international designers and architects, including Bertrand Balas, Evert Jelle Jelles, Frank Ligtelijn. Ger Vos, Jan Jasper Fayer, Li Helo, Maija-Liisa Komulainen. Nan Platvoet, Nanny Still-Mackinney, Nico Kooi. Sergio Asti, Tapio Wirkala, Willem van Oyen and many others.
Raak also collaborated with other companies. They worked with the German Peill + Putzler for the Raak Globe lamps. Peill + Putzler produced the glass. They also sold lamps made by Peill + Putzler, such as a pendant lamp designed by Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner. For the Raak Discus the glass was made by Bega, also a German company. For the Stalactites flush mounts a cooperation with the Belgian Val Saint Lambert was undertaken in the late 1950s. Raak also sold some lamps that were produced by Staff Leuchten (Staff & Schwarz Leuchtenwerke GMBH) from Germany. iittala from Finland produced the glass for the lamps that were designed by Tapio Wirkkala. Raak collaborated with many other producers of lighting.
Carel Lockhorn sold the company in 1974 to ITT but remained a director until 1977. In 1980 Raak merged with BIS Lighting from Aalsmeer, also in The Netherlands and was renamed into BisRaak. In 1986 the Raak company became independent again. The company got a business appearance and only the colours white, black and grey were still processed.
In 1999, Raak merged with Artilite B.V. and Indoor B.V. and became CLA: Centrum voor Lichtarchitectuur B.V. in Drachten (Centre for Light Architecture). The Centre for Lighting Architecture was founded by Egbert Keen. The company was declared bankrupt on 19-05-2011.
Raak B-1044 – Catalogue 8 – 1968
Massive version of this Raak B-1044 pendant lamp
Many thanks to Bram for the photos of the Massive pendant lamp.