Raak Discus Flush Mount or Wall Lamp
Materials: Opaque frosted glass, Bakelite canopy, porcelain socket.
Height: 28 cm / 11.02”
Width: ∅ 17 cm / 6.69”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb with an E27 socket can be used.
Period: 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Other versions: Made in 3 different sizes, only as a wall lamp and a ceiling light, never as a table lamp. This one is version P-1410. You can find this lamp over here in the catalogue on Vintageinfo: Raak catalogue 9.
Published in the Raak catalogue 7 (1966) page 10, Raak catalogue 8 (1968) page 52, Raak catalogue 9 (1972) page 29 and Raak catalogue 11 (1978) pages 56, 57 and 97.
The Dutch company Raak Lichtarchitectuur (Light architecture) was founded in 1954 by Carel O. Lockhorn (18 June 1923 – 6 October 2004), a previous employee of Philips Lighting Eindhoven. Raak, which means “to hit” in Dutch, implies design which precisely “hits the nail on the head”.
Raak is best known for their organic modern design of the 1960s and 1970s which combined glass & metals for a sophisticated futuristic style.
The light company collaborated with several international designers and architects, including Bertrand Balas, Evert Jelle Jelles, Frank Ligtelijn. Ger Vos, Jan Jasper Fayer, Li Helo, Maija-Liisa Komulainen. Nan Platvoet, Nanny Still-Mackinney, Nico Kooi. Sergio Asti, Tapio Wirkala, Willem van Oyen and many others.
Raak also collaborated with other companies. They worked with the German Peill + Putzler for the Raak Globe lamps. Peill + Putzler produced the glass. They also sold lamps made by Peill + Putzler, such as a pendant lamp designed by Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner. For the Raak Discus the glass was made by Bega, also a German company. For the Night Club and Stalactites lamps a cooperation with the Belgian Val Saint Lambert was undertaken in the late 1950s. Raak also sold some lamps that were produced by Staff Leuchten (Staff & Schwarz Leuchtenwerke GMBH) from Germany. iittala from Finland produced the glass for the lamps that were designed by Tapio Wirkkala. Raak collaborated with many other producers of lighting.
Carel Lockhorn sold the company in 1974 to ITT but remained a director until 1977. In 1980 Raak merged with BIS Lighting from Aalsmeer, also in The Netherlands and was renamed into BisRaak. In 1986 the Raak company became independent again. The company got a business appearance and only the colours white, black and grey were still processed.
In 1999, Raak merged with Artilite B.V. and Indoor B.V. and became CLA: Centrum voor Lichtarchitectuur B.V. in Drachten (Centre for Light Architecture). The Centre for Lighting Architecture was founded by Egbert Keen. The company was declared bankrupt on 19-05-2011.
The Bega company was founded in September 1945, at the end of the Second World War and started as a small business with 5 employees. Bega received the “Medaille d’Or” at the international trade fair in Luxembourg in 1952. In 1958, Bega construct the new multi-storey luminaire block with a few other companies at the largest industrial fair in the world in Hanover: an important and courageous step which finally leads to the “World Light Show“. The complete history of the Bega company can be found on their website.
The company still exists and they make beautiful (industrial) lighting.
Glashütte Limburg is a member of the Bega group.