Harvey Guzzini Burgos Pendant Lamp
Materials: Brown degrading acrylic globe lampshade with two layers. White acrylic on the inside. Some chromed metal (iron) parts. Ornamental chrome nut below. Metal E27 sockets. Rolly rise & fall mechanism.
Cord Length: This one has an adjustable rise & fall mechanism (40 – 140 cm / 15.74 – 55.11). It can be easily adjusted in height by grabbing the lamp with both hands, or the handle below, and pulling it gently.
Height: 36 cm / 14.17”
Width: ∅ 40 cm / 15.74”
Electricity: 3 bulbs E27, 3 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but preferably a white/opaque or frosted light bulb.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Ufficio progetti (office projects), Harvey Guzzini.
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy.
Other versions: This Harvey Guzzini Burgos pendant lamp also exists in a small version, as you can see below. It was made in several colours. The Rolly rise & fall mechanism of this lamp is dated 1973. So this pendant lamp is from that period. Rolly mechanisms without a date are from the late 70s and 80s.
The Burgos lamp was also sold by MEBLO. They named it Marika.
A very similar pendant lamp was sold by the Belgian company Geve in the 70s. It has a clear brushed acrylic lampshade, as you can see. The company no longer sells lamps with there name on it. For the moment it is unclear who made these lamps. It could be Harvey Guzzini, they also made lamps with the same brushed acrylic and similar parts. Today it is a lighting shop in Wilrijk, near Antwerp. The company was founded in 1969.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950. A bit later Creazioni was added. The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Harvey Guzzini lamps were also sold under the brand name MEBLO. MEBLO is a Slovenian (Yugoslavia) company.
The MEBLO factory was founded in 1948 when Gorizia craftsmen joined forces and founded the Furniture Factory, later named Edvard Kardelj (communist leader and national hero of World War II). In 1950 the name changed in MEBLO.
At first, they made exclusive furniture, which was later supplemented with upholstered furniture, lighting, plastic and mattresses.
MEBLO also produced plastic chairs and tables, plasticised metal garden tables and chairs, plastic chairs for sports halls, plastic flower beds, mirrors and plastic bathroom equipment (design by Luigi Massoni), wooden set of club tables, shelves, buffet carts and mirrors (design by Gianfranco Frattini).
The last lamps were produced around 1990, 1991 until the break-up of Yugoslavia.
Today the company is named MebloJOGI. It only produces mattresses for beds.
Before Meblo started to produce Harvey Guzzini lamps, Sijaj Hrastnik, another Slovenian company sold them in Yugoslavia.
Harvey Guzzini Burgos pendant lamp – small version
Project year: 1967
Year of production starting: 1967
Year of production ending: 1972
3 x 40W – E14
Size: 33 x 36 cm – 12.99” x 14.17”
Commercial code 2196: from 1967 until 1972
Commercial code 3018: 1972 – 1973
Harvey Guzzini Burgos pendant lamp – big version
Project year: 1967
Year of production starting: 1972
Year of production ending: 197*
3 x 75W – E27
Size: 36 x 40 cm – 14.17” x 15.74”
Commercial code 2197: from 1972 until 1973
Commercial code 3019: from 1973 on.
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.