Vistosi Onion Pendant Lamp
Materials: Dark red hand blown crystal Murano glass globe lampshade, made in an onion or tulip bulb shape. The inside is white (incamiciato). Black plastic canopy. Bakelite E27 socket with metal parts and steel wire.
Cord Length: 100 cm / 39.37’’
Height: 34 cm / 13.38”
Width: ∅ 32 cm / 12.59”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But preferable a white/opaque or frosted one. Bright light bulbs cause streaks on the glass and therefore also on the walls.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Alessandro Pianon (1931 – 1984).
Manufacturer: Vistosi, Murano, Italy.
Other versions: This Vistosi onion pendant lamp also exists as a table lamp and a floor lamp. It was made in many different sizes and colours.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass.
Alessandro Pianon was born in Venice, Italy in 1931. He studied architecture at the Venice University. In 1956 he worked at Vistosi, designing the company’s logo. In 1962 he opened his own design studio. Pianon died in Venice in 1984.
Alessandro Pianon designed this pendant lamp in 1956, it was made for many years. It was produced for several years. It is characteristic of Alessandro’s design vocabulary: simple, geometric shapes and monochrome colours.
None of these pendant lamps are identical and are all handmade. This lamp is an early production. The 1950s-1960s labels of Vistosi and Murano are present.
Vistosi was created by Guglielmo Vistosi in Murano in 1945 focusing on lighting. After his premature death his sons Gino and Luciano, joined their uncle Oreste in the founding of the Vistosi company.
In 1956 Alessandro Pianon, a Venetian Architect, joined the company. Together with second generation Luciano and Gino Vistosi they gave a swing to the company focusing on innovation and design.
The company has employed some very relevant designers such as Angelo Mangiarotti, Gae Aulenti. Peter Pelzel, Ettore Sottsass Jr., Adalberto Dal Lago. Vico Magistretti, Enrico Tronconi and so on.
In 1989 Giancarlo Moretti, a businessman from Murano with a long experience in the glass sector with Vetrofond and Punto Luce, acquires the prestigious brand, giving birth to Vetreria Vistosi.
The sole survivor of the original founders, Luciano, born 24 February 1930, dedicated himself to research and glass sculpture until his death in Venice on 14 Mai 2010.
Links (external links open in a new window)
More info about the history of the Vistosi company can be found on their website: vistosi.com/company/history
Vistosi 1960s glass collection
Green Vase: Luciano Vistosi, Orange Pulcini bird: Alessandro Pianon.
The 2 smoked glass vases on the right are always attributed to Fulvio Bianconi, but they are not. They are very similar with his design, but they were made by Vistosi, as confirmed by the official Fulvio Bianconi website. The original designed Ih, che bei vases are blue. You can find them on Bianconi’s website.