1960s Philips Outdoor Wall Lamp
Materials: Black painted metal (iron) rectangular wall mount. Square black iron tubes. Round black iron glass holder. Green crystal glass in a bollard shape. Bakelite socket.
Height: 35 cm / 13.77”
Width: ∅ 24 cm / 9.44”
Depth: 36 cm / 14.17”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb with an E27 socket can be used. Not a specific one preferred. For this setup a white/opaque bulb was used.
Period: 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Koninklijke Philips N.V., Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
This rare seen garden/outdoor wall lamp is from an old stock, it is NOS (New Old Stock) and was never used. That’s why the paper Philips sticker is still present and the most important: it still exists. Garden lamps from that period never lasted longer than 5 years or so. They started to rust in no time.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.
In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.
In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced and was simply called “The Philishave”.
A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 Mai 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them.
Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.
The most well known designer was Louis Kalff. More info over here, on Vintageinfo. Many other famous designers did: the list is endless.