Harvey Guzzini Bud Pendant Lamp
Materials: White acrylic globe lampshade with a pearl shine. Chrome lamp socket holder. Chromed metal (iron) ring. White half round acrylic diffuser below. Bakelite E27 socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 41 cm / 16.14”
Width: ∅ 46 cm / 18.11”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb with an E27 screw base can be used. But preferably a white/opaque one. Clear light bulbs creates stripes on the plastic and therefore also on the walls.
Period: 1960s, 1970s, 1980s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Studio 6G, the internal design team of Harvey Guzzini in 1968.
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy, today named iGuzzini.
Other versions: The Harvey Guzzini Bud pendant lamp exists in two sizes. Also made as a flush mount/ceiling lamp (model 5023), two floor lamps (Clan & Flash) and a table lamp (small Clan). The big pendant became later known as Bud Grande (Big Bud), but it was never named that way. A version with a white painted rim also exists. During the years some other colours were also produced.
The suspension changed from a classic cord to a nylon wire in the late 1970s, like this one.
The Harvey Guzzini Bud is made up of a shell in thermoformed methacrylate double layer, with white interior and exterior colour, and a screen in thermoformed methacrylate white diffuser supported on a chromed metal disc glued to the shell.
You can find these lamps with labels from Harveiluce, Harvey Guzzini and iGuzzini. In some countries they were also sold under the brand name Meblo. Meblo is a Croatian (Yugoslavian at that time) company that sold products from Harvey Guzzini. Meblo still exists.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Brushed acrylic version of the small Harvey Guzzini Bud
Links (external links open in a new window)
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.