Brass & Acrylic Tripod Desk Lamp
Materials: 3 conical brass legs. White acrylic shell-shaped lampshade. Small brass plate with two screws on top. Brass knee joint. White half round acrylic socket decoration. Brass and porcelain socket.
Height: 22 cm / 8.66”
Lampshade: 20 x 12 cm / 7.87 x 4.72”
Base: 15 x 12 cm / 5.90 x 4.72”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. A candelabra light bulb is preferred, the bulb is part of the design.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Gebrüder Cosack, Neheim-Hüsten, Germany.
Other versions: This brass & white acrylic tripod desk lamp was at least also made with a mother-of-pearl shine on the white acrylic. Made in black, red and beige/vanilla coloured acrylic. The lampshade was also used for a single and double wall and desk lamp with a round base and two rods, often in red and white.
This tripod desk lamp was also made with a different base. It has two flat black painted rods and a curved rod to the identical lampshade.
Often attributed to Italian companies such as Stilnovo and also to the German company WKR Leuchten (Werkstätten für kunsthandwerkliche Raumleuchten, Bronzewarenfabrik (Workshops for artisan room lights, bronze goods factory).
The Gebrüder Cosack (Gecos) company was founded in 1848 as a metal processing plant in Neheim-Hüsten, Germany by Egon, Friedrich and Theodor Cosack. In the beginning they made liturgical items and crosses made of brass and they also produced kerosene lamps. Later the company came to the production of electric lamps. Cosack is the oldest Neheim lamp factory.
After the Second World War Cosack pursued a modern direction. A best seller were copper lighting for restaurants. The company was declared bankrupt in 1984.
Best known designers: Ursula or Gottfried Stürzenhofecker (unclear, they are both designers), K. H. Kinsky.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
The socket of this desk lamp was made by BJB. BJB is Brökelmann, Jäger and Busse, BJB GmbH & Co. KG. The BJB company was founded in 1867 and started with petroleum lighting. The company still exists. Today they produce LED lamps, terminal blocks and connectors, lamp holders for conventional lighting and switches. They are active in the whole world. BJB GmbH & Co. KG is located on Werler Strasse 1, 59755, Arnsberg, Germany.
The switch was made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan in Italy. Today VLM Components is owned By Relco. It is one of the biggest suppliers of switches, cords and plugs in Europe. VLM Components became famous for the switches they produce that were designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.