Le Dauphin Trabur Table Lamp
Materials: Square beige conical travertine (limestone) base in an obelisk, pyramid-style shape. White painted metal rod. Square brown conical fabric lampshade. Bakelite E27 socket.
Total Height: 57,6 cm / 22.67”
Height: 46 cm / 18.11”
Lampshade: 35 x 35 cm / 13.77 x 13.77”
Base: 12 x 12 cm / 4.72 x 4.72”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Le Dauphin, Saint Marcellin, France.
Other versions: This Le Dauphin Trabur table lamp was probably produced in several colours/versions of natural stone.
This table lamp is made as an obelisk needle or pyramid in the style of the Abat-Jour table lamp, designed by Cini Boeri in 1975 for Arteluce. Later it was produced by Tronconi. It is also reminiscent of the lamps from the 1980s by the Memphis Group.
The Italian Memphis Group was a design and architecture group founded by Ettore Sottsass (1917-2007) in 1981 in Milan. The Memphis Group members designed Postmodern furniture, lights, fabrics, ceramics, glass and metal objects from 1981 to 1987. Many lamps were made in geometric forms.
The Le Dauphin company was founded in January 1966 by Maurice Tournu as a small lampshade company. A first factory was built in 1970. In the 1980s, more than 250 employees worked there. More than 50.000 lamps a year were produced.
Le Dauphin: Located in the heart of the region Rhône Alpes, Le Dauphin is a brand famous for its high-end luminaires and its timeless style. The artisan factory is located in Saint-Marcellin, some 50 kilometres from Grenoble.
Le Dauphin created a wide range of light fixtures, from classic ceramics to decorated metal, through the transparency of hand-cut glass.
“To dress the light so that it becomes a source of decoration” was the motto of the Le Dauphin company.
The company name has it’s origin in the former name of the province were it’s located: Dauphiné.
Le Dauphin no longer exists. It ended business in 2009 and was deleted from the register in 2013. The website stayed online until 2017.
All the electric parts were made by VLM Components in the 1980s. VLM Components was founded in 1945 in Buccinasco, a small village near Milan, Italy. VLM Components is part of the Relco Group, founded in 1967. Today they are the owners of the brands Relco, Leuci, Relco Lighting, VLM Components and Segno. VLM Components became famous for the switches they produce which were designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.
Links (external links open in a new window)
The village of Saint-Marcellin – Wikipedia
Travertine ostrich egg table lamp
Other lamps made by Le Dauphin