1960s Tube Table Lamp
Materials: Curved chrome wire rod base. Two rubber balls. Some metal and plastic parts. Chrome ornamental screw on the back. Dark orange-red painted aluminium tubular lampshade. Silver painted on the inside. Bakelite E14 socket.
Tube: ∅ 6 x 17,2 cm / 2.36 x 6.77”
Height: 17,5 – 26 cm / 6.88 – 10.23”
Width: 25 cm / 9.84”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
For this setup a tubular light bulb made by Neolamp, Italy was used. The name of the bulb is Sirio. More info about this bulb can be found over here, on Vintageinfo.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Targetti Sankey S.p.A., Via Pratese, 164, 50145 Firenze – Italy.
Other versions: This 1960s tube table lamp exists in several colours. The presumably early version of this lamp has a round metal back, as you can see.
Also a square version exists with the same rubber ball mechanisme with the name Targetti Sankey pressed in the black plastic back.
This table lamp is adjustable with the rubber balls. It has six holes, so it has 3 positions. The tube is pinched between the rubber balls.
This lamp has a black plastic back and a switch designed in 1968 by Achille Castiglioni. So it is in all probability from the 1970s. The lamps with the round back have an older switch, also made by VLM Components.
These table lamps are often attributed to Angelo Lelii, but they are not by his hand. Angelo Lelii designed several tube lamps, but they are all different.
This 1960s tube table lamp is not described in the book: Arredoluce – Catalogo Ragionato 1943-1987 – Catalogue Raissonné. Written by Anty Pansera, Alessandro Padoan and Alessandro Palmaghini. Published by SilvanaEditoriale.
Targetti Sankey S.p.A. was founded in 1928 by Sankey Targetti as a family business. His son Paolo was the second president of the company. Today his grandson Lorenzo succeeded Paolo in the chairmanship of the group, and Stella, his granddaughter, is the vice president of the Tuscany Region. The company has been designing and producing indoor and outdoor architectural light fixtures ever since.
The company specialises in lighting for large exhibition spaces. For example the lights used in the Galleria dell’Accademia di Firenze (Gallery of the Academy of Florence) to illuminate the world famous statue of David, made by Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475 – 1564), were a gift by Targetti for the museum. Also the Academy of Fine Arts (Accademia di Belle Arti) in Firenze is illuminated by Targetti.
The wiring, plug, switch and socket are Italian and they are made by VLM Components from Buccinasco near Milan in the early 70’s. The company became famous for the switches they produce since 1968, designed by Achille Castiglioni. You can find them over here. This 1960s tube table lamp is equipped with a black model 450 switch.
VLM is part of the Relco Group, founded in 1967. Today they are the owners of the brands Relco, Leuci, Relco Lighting, VLM and Segno.