Philips Aluminium Pendant Lamps
Materials: Brushed aluminium cylinder lampshades. Mat brown-black suede coating on the outer aluminium ring. Bakelite E27 sockets. Plastic canopy.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 18 cm / 7.08”
Width: ∅ 25 cm / 9.84”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: Late 1970s, early 1980s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
Model: LPG 201
Other versions: These Philips aluminium pendant lamps exists as a small wall lamp: model NWS 200, (∅ 18 cm / 7.08) and wall lamp LWG 201 (∅ 25 cm / 9.84”). The flush mount is model LGC 201 (∅ 25 cm / 9.84”).
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.
In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.
In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced and was simply called “The Philishave”.
A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 May 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them.
Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.