Vintageinfo – All About Vintage Lighting

Last Viewed

  • Ateljé Lyktan Mars pendant lamp 1972 design: Per Sundstedt conical degrading orange acrylic lampshade Sweden 1970s

Vintageinfo Google Search

The content of this website is subject to copyright. It is forbidden to copy the text for any purpose, including commercial uses such as the sale of lamps through e-commerce websites. Please respect the work of the owner. Thank you in advance.

All Rights Reserved. Please link to the items, do not copy!

Philips 1970s Pendant Lamp

Materials: Lampshade made of 3 red round metal (aluminium) conical lids, painted white on the inside. Bakelite E27 socket.

Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62”

Height: 30 cm / 11.81”

Width: ∅ 20 cm / 7.87”

Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.

Period: 1970s, 1980s – Mid-Century Modern.

Designer:  To be appraised.

Manufacturer: Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands.

Other versions: This Philips 1970s pendant lamp exists in many colours.

This pendant lamp has some similarities with the IKEA Duett pendant lamp designed by Bent Gantzel Boysen. But that pendant lamp is from 1983. You can find it over here.

Koninklijke Philips N.V.

Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.

In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.

In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced. It was called “The Philishave“.

A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 May 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them.

Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.

Many thanks to Lluífrom Eclectique Vintage for the photos and the enthusiasm.