Harvey Guzzini Faro Pendant Lamp
Materials: White plastic (acrylic/methacrylate) and chromed metal (iron). Metal socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 22 cm / 8.66”
Width: ∅ 33 cm / 12.99”
Electricity: 1 light bulbs E27, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Harvey Guzzini, the design team of the company, led by Luigi Massoni.
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy, today named iGuzzini.
Other versions: Also made with a rise & fall mechanism. Made as a floor lamp and a table lamp. Produced in red, orange, white, transparent brown…
Faro: Italian word for lighthouse.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in June 1958 by Raimondo Guzzini (born 1928) under the name Harvey. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey from 1950.
The initial production of enamelled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
In the early sixties it became a family business when his 5 brothers joined the company. In 1962 Luigi Massoni was attracted to lead the design team. He worked for Fratelli Guzzini and Harvey Guzzini until 1976. Luigi Massoni designed many iconic lamps in that period.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1974 into iGuzzini and in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Acrylic: often named by its commercial name: Perspex, Plexiglas, Crylux, Acrylite, Lucite, is a thermoplastic.
Project year: 1970
Year of production starting: 1970
Year of production ending: 1977
Commercial code: 2251
Period: 1970 – 1972
Commercial code: 3031
Period: 1973 – 1977
Prototypes of this lamp were made from 1967 until 1973.
Links (external links open in a new window)
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.