Ernest Igl Hillebrand Flush Mount
Materials: Blue round metal lampshade, painted white inside. It has perforated round holes of different sizes. Brass conical tube and ceiling mount. Metal E14 socket.
Height: 15 cm / 5.90”
Lampshade: ∅ 12 cm / 4.72”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1950s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Ernest Igl – attributed.
Manufacturer: Hillebrand-Leuchten, Neheim-Hüsten, Germany.
Other versions: This Ernest Igl Hillebrand flush mount exists in several colours. It was also made with an opal glass lampshade inside. Many other lamps with this perforated asymmetrical round holes were made.
This design is often named “starry night or starry sky”, the reason is obvious. Several people used this design for lamps. For instance, famous designer Paavo Tynell used it for many lamps. It is seen on many lamps by several companies of that time.
In Poland the same design was used for the so called Little Dog lamp model 1318, designed by Apolinarego Gałeckiego for the Stołecznych Zakładach Metalowych Numer 2, the Capital Metal Works No. 2 company in Warshaw. It was also sold by Hillebrand. It appears in catalogues from 1958 and 1960.
Ernest Igl was born on February 6, 1920, as Ernest Hofmann in Prague, Czech Republic. Igl graduated from the academy in Karlsbad in 1938 and then attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague and the Academy of Applied Arts in Munich.
After World War II he worked as a graphic artist in Munich. He enjoyed a high reputation as one of the first illustrators at major school book publishers and distinguished himself as an international industrial designer. He was graphic artist, painter, stage designer and sculptor.
His most wel known design is the Igl Jet Desk. Ernest Igl was an all-round industrial designer. He designed for Linde forklifts and designed shoes for Romica and lighting for Hillebrand.
He passed away in Davos, Switzerland in 2001.
Egon Hillebrand Leuchtenfabrik, Neheim-Hüsten was founded on may 15, 1881 by plumbing and fitter master Egon Hillebrand as a producer of nickel silver lids for beer pitchers, established household appliances, kerosene lamps and storm and carriage lanterns.
With the arrival of the son Franz, the operation was switched to the turn of the century in the manufacture of electrical lighting fittings.
Around 1955, the collection was a representative, quality Rustic line “lights for restaurants and farmers bars“. The company filed for bankruptcy in 1995.
Designers that worked for Hillebrand
Dr Heinz Georg Pfaender (1928-2015): in 1961 he designed the Oslo table lamp and in 1963 the Bornholm desk lamp. Two design-icons of the Hillebrand company.
Ernest Igl (1920-2001) designed several lights for Hillebrand in the 1950s.
Odo Klose designed a floor lamp (model 5225).