1970s Glass Tubes Floor Lamp
Materials: Black painted metal base. Several chrome parts. Chromed iron rod inside. 5 embossed glass tubes. Some metal parts. Plastic or Rhodoïd folded lampshade, fabric cloth on top. 2 Metal sockets.
Lampshade: ∅ 48 cm / 18.89”
Height: 160 cm / 62.99”
Base: ∅ 23 cm / 9.05”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E27, 2 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Massive, Mortsel, Kontich, Mortsel and Wommelgem, Belgium.
Other versions: This 1970s glass tubes floor lamp exists as a table lamp and was produced with several different lampshades. Made in some variations. It is not certain if this lampshade is original.
Massive was in origin a bronze foundry and they produced mainly candlesticks, crucifixes and chandeliers in Wilrijk near Antwerp, Belgium. The company was founded in 1926 by Pieter-Jozef De Jaeck. His son Eddy De Jaeck was responsible for the huge expansion of the company in the 1970s. But it were his sons, Piet and Jan De Jaeck who made Massive a true multinational. Thus, they moved production to Eastern Europe and China.
In the 1980s Massive became the leading brand in Europe. In 2002, the brothers left the company to the investment fund CVC Capital Partners, for allegedly more than 250 million euros.
Since 2008 the company is owned by Philips and the name of the shops is changed into Light Gallery.
When the takeover by Philips was announced in November 2006 Massive commercialised more than 10.000 lighting products under brand names such as Massive, TRIO and Lirio. The group had about 5.000 employees worldwide and was active in 70 countries.
The Richard Essig company from Besigheim also sold these lamps. Richard Essig was a wholesale company who bought among other things old stocks. Essig sold lamps made by Staff, Disderot, Massive and several other companies, labelled with Richard Essig – Besigheim.
Similar lamps were made by Berman and Kaiser Leuchten. Kalmar Franken from Austria and Orrefors from Sweden also produced lamps in this style.
The electric parts of this floor lamp were made by BJB. BJB is Brökelmann, Jäger and Busse, BJB GmbH & Co. KG. The BJB company was founded in 1867 and started with petroleum lighting. The company still exists. Today they produce LED lamps, terminal blocks and connectors, lamp holders for conventional lighting and switches. They are active in the whole world. BJB GmbH & Co. KG is located on Werler Strasse 1, 59755, Arnsberg, Germany.
BJB produced electric parts for companies such as Gebrüder Cosack from Germany, Massive from Belgium and many others.