Links (external links open in a new window)
Massive – Wikipedia (in Dutch)
The complete history of the Philips company
1970s geometric ceramics & chrome table lamp
Many thanks to Bart for the catalogue picture.
1950s Brass And Wood Bedside Table Lamp
Materials: Brass tripod feet. Base made of two parts of wood (to be determined), probably teak. Rectangular brass rod or handle. Black painted (wrinkle paint) iron bottom. Conical embossed clear crystal pressed glass tubular lampshade. Gold coloured metal E14 socket.
Height: 28,3 cm / 11.14”
Base: ∅ 17 cm / 6.69”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Massive, Kontich and Wommelgem, Belgium.
Other versions: The pressed glass lampshade of this 1950s brass and wood bedside table lamp was used for many other lamps: chandeliers, table lamps, wall lamps and so on. All made the “Danish” or “Scandinavian” way. This table lamp is more or less made in the shape of a tripod candlestick. It was made with several different lampshades. It is model 12777.
Massive was in origin a bronze foundry and they produced mainly candlesticks, crucifixes and chandeliers in Wilrijk near Antwerp, Belgium. The company was founded in 1926 by Pieter-Jozef De Jaeck. His son Eddy De Jaeck was responsible for the huge expansion of the company in the 1970s. But it were his sons, Piet and Jan De Jaeck who made Massive a true multinational. Thus, they moved production to Eastern Europe and China.
In the 1980s Massive became the leading brand in Europe. In 2002, the brothers left the company to the investment fund CVC Capital Partners, for allegedly more than 250 million euros.
Since 2008 the company is owned by Philips and the name of the shops is changed into Light Gallery.
When the takeover by Philips was announced in November 2006 Massive commercialized more than 10.000 lighting products under brand names such as Massive, TRIO and Lirio. The group had about 5.000 employees worldwide and was active in 70 countries.
All the electric parts of this lamp were made in the late 1950’s, early 1960’s by VLM Components from Buccinasco, near Milan in Italy. The company is famous for the switches designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.
VLM Components is part of the Relco Group, founded in 1967. Today they are the owners of the brands Relco, Leuci, Relco Lighting, VLM and Segno.