Harvey Guzzini Quadrifoglio Pendant Light
Materials: Brown degrading plastic (acrylic), white inside. Chromed metal, Bakelite sockets.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 46 cm / 18.11”
Width: ∅ 50 cm / 19.68”
Electricity: 2 bulbs E14, 2 x 60 watt maximum (inside the lamp shade) and 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum (below under the diffuser) – 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but opaque or white bulbs are preferred for the E14 bulbs inside and a a silver cup/crown/bowl light bulb below. The lights can work separately if the wiring in the house is provided for this purpose.
Period: 1960s and 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Studio 6G, the Harvey Guzzini design-team.
Manufacturer: Harvey Guzzini, Recanati, Italy, today named iGuzzini.
Other versions: Floor lamp and table lamp. Also made in white and orange. A version exists with a white metal plate instead of a chrome one.
Pendant lamp made up of a shell in thermoformed methacrylate (acrylic) double layer, with white interior and degrading exterior brown/orange colour.
Quadrifoglio, the Italian word for four-leaf clover.
This light is always attributed to Gae Aulenti (1927-2012), but that is not true. Gae Aulenti started to work for the iGuzzini company in 1985 and created together with Piero Castiglioni the (industrial) Cestello lamp for the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, Italy; 17 years after the Quadrofoglio was designed. Source: the website of iGuzzini. The Cestello was in production from 1985 until 1992.
The Quadrifoglio has some similarities with the Pipistrello lamp Gae Aulenti designed for Martinelli Luce. Most likely the story originated that way.
iGuzzini illuminazione was established in 1959 under the name Harvey Creazioni. Harvey is derived from the famous movie ‘Harvey’ with James Stuart and the invisible rabbit Harvey in the 1950s.
The initial production of enameled copper objects was supplemented by decorative luminaires.
The company still exists and changed the name in 1981 to iGuzzini illuminazione.
Project year: 1968
Commercial code: 4000
Produced: 1968 – 1978
Commercial code: 4500
Produced: 1968 – 1976
Commercial code: 3000
Produced: 1968 – 1978
Logo used between 1959 and 1964. Inspired by the 1950 film “Harvey“, starring James Stewart.
Logo used between 1965 and 1977. This logo was designed by Luigi Massoni.
The architect Massoni was invited to work with Harvey as the company’s art director, a move that gave further impetus to the idea of collaborating with designers.
Between 1967 and 1971, Ennio Lucini designed the catalogue tor the DH brand, under which lamps for home lighting were marketed.
Logo used from 1974 until today, designed by Advema G&R Associati. This logo embodied the company’s entire output, which was marketed under other brands such as DH, Doma and Atelier.
It was during this period that the company began making technical products. Spot and flood lights in particular.