Links (external links open in a new window)
De Pas, D’Urbino, Lomazzi – Wikipedia
De Pas, D’Urbino, Lomazzi in the MoMA, New York museum
Stilnovo De Pas, D’Urbino, Lomazzi desk lamp
Many thanks to Frank from Flowermountain.be for the photos and the enthusiasm.
Stilnovo De Pas, D’Urbino, Lomazzi Desk Lamp
Materials: Cast iron tubular counterweight base, painted with green wrinkle paint. Chromed metal (iron) curved slat. Green painted round aluminium lampshade, painted white inside. Chrome top. Bakelite E27 socket.
Lampshade: ∅ 28 cm / 11.02”
Height: 40 cm / 15.74”
Width: 44 cm / 17.32”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Design: Jonathan De Pas, Donato D’Urbino, Paolo Lomazzi in 1971.
Manufacturer: Stilnovo, Milan, Italy.
Other versions: This Stilnovo De Pas, D’Urbino, Lomazzi desk lamp exists in several colours. The lampshade was also used for the design of the Lampiatta desk lamp. Also made as a pendant lamp in two sizes. The base was also used for another desk lamp that was also sold by the Dutch Artimeta company. It has a white acrylic lampshade.
Jonathan De Pas (1932-1991), Donato D’Urbino (1935) and Paolo Lomazzi (1936) started working together in 1966 when they founded their design studio DDL – De Pas, D’Urbino, Lomazzi in Milan, Italy. After the death of Jonathan de Pas in 1991, the DDL design studio became Studio D’Urbino Lomazzi. The trio is most famous for their furniture design. The inflatable Blow armchair for Zanotta and the seat Joe for Poltronova in the shape of a baseball glove, to name a few. It was a tribute to the famous American baseball player Joe di Maggio. Their works are present in exhibitions and museums of all over the world, from the Triennale Design Museum in Milan to the MoMA in New York. Studio D’Urbino Lomazzi had a website, it is gone since 2018. It was located at: www.durbinolomazzi.it. The studio was located at Corso XXII Marzo 39, Milan.
Founded in Milan in 1946 by Bruno Gatta, Stilnovo was one of the most important lighting company’s of Italy in the post World War II industry.
Stilnovo worked with a large number of leading designers, including Gaetano Sciolari, Joe Colombo, Gae Aulenti, Alberto Fraser, Ettore Sottsass, Danilo & Corrado Aroldi, Cini Boeri, Jonathan De Pas, Donato D’Urbino, Paolo Lomazzi, Antonio Macchi Cassia, Roberto Beretta and so on. The company ended business in 1988.
All Stilnovo lamps are marked with the Stilnovo name; many early pieces also include the original sticker “Stilnovo Milan”.
The new Stilnovo
The company is long gone but in 2017 “The Stilnovo Scientific Committee” was formed. The members are: Decio G.R. Carugati, Roberto Fiorato, Francesco Morace, Danilo Premoli, Franco Pagliarini and Andrea Cucci. The company is named: Stilnovo Italia Srl.
Text from the new Stilnovo website:
“In order to pick up the traces of Stilnovo and bring them into the future a Scientific Committee was formed. The team has already produced a Manifest with its definition of guidelines and necessary criteria for future creations. With indications for ideas about the identity of a brand name which does not ignore its historical past: on the contrary, it is exalted.
The recreation of important iconic pieces and the use of new stimuli of Italian and international design in order to create completely new pieces represent just some of the plans for Stilnovo, which in themselves will bring new stimuli and lively collaboration among craftsmen and planners in order to guarantee as always 100% Made in Italy products.”
All the electric parts are made by the VLM Components company from Buccinasco, near Milan. The switch is model 475; the big model of the famous switch designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.
Stilnovo Lampiatta Desk Lamp