Jacob Eiler Bang Pendant Lamps
Materials: Conical drop lampshades. Made of clear turquoise and clear crystal hand blown glass. White opal glass on the inside (incamiciato). Bakelite sockets.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 41 cm / 16.14”
Width: ∅ 12 cm / 4.72”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But preferably a white/opaque or frosted bulb.
Period: 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Jacob Eiler Bang (1899 – 1965).
Manufacturer: Fog & Mørup with Holmegaard, Denmark.
Other versions: These Bang lamps were made in several colours. The first colours were turquoise, opaque, coral and night blue.
Similar, almost identical lamps were made by Base from Murano, Italy in the same period.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass. It’s an Italian word. The technique was invented on the Murano Island of Venice.
These pendant lamps were designed by Jacob Eiler Bang in 1963 for Fog & Mørup. It was a few years before his dead. Not only are they designed by Jacob Bang, it is also their name: Bang.
Holmegaard, another Danish company specialized in glass objects, produced the glass for Fog & Mørup.
Fog & Mørup
Ansgar Fog (1880-1930) and Erik Mørup (1879-1972) started their business together in 1904 as a metalwork wholesaler. Two years later they moved to the capital Copenhagen. They began to focus on lighting production and over the years taking over several electrical and lighting companies. It was only in the early 1960s that Fog & Mørup really emerged as a key force in lighting design, following the company’s appointment in 1957 of Jo Hammerborg as head of design.
Important designers and architects that worked for the company are: Claus Bonderup, Torsten Thorup. Sidse Werner, Sophus Frandsen. Jørgen Bo, E. Balslev, Peter Avondoglio. Karen Clemmensen, Ebbe Clemmensen. Hans Due and of course Jo Hammerborg himself.
In the late 1970s Fog & Mørup merged with Lyfa, another leading Danish lighting producer. In 1980 Jo Hammerborg retired. A few years later Lyfa-Fog & Mørup was taken over by Lyskær. The name changed in Lyskaer-Lyfa.
Lyskaer-Lyfa produced lights until 1991, when it was incorporated into Horn Belysning A/S of Aalstrup, which was itself taken over in 2005 by Nordlux of Ålborg and at a large extent dismantled. Another part of the company became Lightyears, today owned by Republic of Fritz Hansen.
The Holmegaard glassworks factory was founded around 1820 by Count Christian Danneskiold-Samsøe in the town of Holmegaard Mose (“Holmegaard Bog”), but he needed permission from the King of Denmark.
The Count died in 1823 without receiving an answer from the king. A short while after his dead, permission was granted and his wife Countess Henriette Danneskjold-Samsøe started the business. Production began in 1825.
In the beginning the company produced only green bottles, but within its first decade production was shifted on to table-glass.
During the 20th century, artists such as Jacob Eiler Bang (1899-1965) entered the equation, designing and shaping Holmegaard’s glass products. Designer Per Lütken(1916-98), and Jacob Bang’s son, Michael (1944-2002) joined the firm and brought it to what it is now: a well known company, famous for its high-quality products of Danish design.
Today Holmegaard is part of the Rosendahl Design Group.
Jacob Eiler Bang
Jacob Eiler Bang was born in Fredriksberg, Denmark on 19 December 1899 and studied architecture. He changed quickly to glass design. He first came to the attention of Holmegaards Glasværk at the 1925 Paris exhibition and started working for Holmegaard in 1926. His glass designs received significant acclaim at international exhibitions.
Jacob Eiler Bang designed many lamps for Holmegaard and Fog & Morup.
Mister Bang died at 16 March 1965 in Kongens Lyngby, also in Denmark, only 66 years old.