Links (external links open in a new window)
1960s Slats Pendant Lamp
Materials: Clear plastic, aluminium cylinder. Some metal parts. Black plastic, Bakelite socket.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 30 cm / 11.81”
Width: ∅ 35 cm / 13.77”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Most of the lamps made by Philips are designed by the internal design-team of the company.
Manufacturer: Philips, Eindhoven, The Netherlands (attributed).
Other versions: Made in several versions. Below are some other editions, the mechanism to connect the socket with the clear plastic lampshade are the same.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Inspired by the fast-growing electricity industry and the promising results of Gerard Philips own experiments to make reliable carbon filaments, Frederik Philips (his father) financed the purchase of a modest factory in Eindhoven, The Netherlands in 1891. Frederik Philips was a Jewish banker based in Zaltbommel.
In 1895, after difficult first four years and near bankruptcy, Anton Philips joined the company. He was Gerard’s younger brother. With Anton’s arrival, the family business began to expand rapidly. The brothers changed their family business by founding the Philips corporation. They laid the foundations for the later electronics multinational.
In 1930 the first shaver of the Philips company was introduced and was simply called “The Philishave”.
A day before the German invasion in the Netherlands on 9 Mai 1940, the Philips family fled to the United States of America, taking a large amount of the company capital with them. Operating from the US as the North American Philips Company, they managed to run the company throughout the war. After World War II the company was moved back to the Netherlands, with their headquarters in Eindhoven.
Philips slats lamps from the 1967 and 1968 catalogues