Vetreria Vistosi Fedra Pendant Lamps
Materials: White satin-finish hand blown glass. Satin-finish nickel-plated metal (iron) and canopy. Rubber coated electric wire, some plastic parts. Some metal parts and socket.
Cord Length: +- 70 cm / 27.55”
Height: 48 cm / 18.89”
Width: ∅ 16 cm / 6.29”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14 halogen, 1 x 100 watt maximum, 110/220 volt, IP20.
Any type of E14 light bulb can be used. But preferable a white/opaque or frosted one. Bright light bulbs cause streaks on the glass and therefore also on the walls. These 3 lamps have E14 sockets, but the catalogue scheme below says E27. Probably they were made in 2 versions or it’s a typo.
Designer: Monica Agnolazza.
Manufacturer: Vetreria Vistosi, Murano, Italy.
Other versions: Also made as a wall lamp (AP) and a floor lamp (PT). Also made in yellow topaz colour. The wall and floor lamp also have a wood decoration. The pendant lamp is model SP. These lamps were at least produced until 2003.
Little is known about Monica Agnolazza. She seems to have disappeared into thin air. Only a text in a Vistosi catalogue tells a story:
“She came into contact with the world of design, thanks to the artistic formation, at first by attending design studies and later by cooperating with firms working in the lighting sector. She has refined her personal style by closely following the carrying out of the projects in the glassworks where she takes care of the technical-productive aspect as well as the organizing.”
Vistosi was created by Guglielmo Vistosi in Murano in 1945 focusing on lighting. After his premature death his sons Gino and Luciano, joined their uncle Oreste in the founding of the Vistosi company.
In 1956 Alessandro Pianon, a Venetian Architect, joined the company. Together with second generation Luciano and Gino Vistosi they gave a swing to the company focusing on innovation and design.
The company has employed some very relevant designers such as Angelo Mangiarotti, Gae Aulenti. Peter Pelzel, Ettore Sottsass Jr., Adalberto Dal Lago. Vico Magistretti, Enrico Tronconi and so on.
In 1989 Giancarlo Moretti, a businessman from Murano with a long experience in the glass sector with Vetrofond and Punto Luce, acquires the prestigious brand, giving birth to Vetreria Vistosi. In the 1990s the factory closed for a couple of years. It was reopened by Matteo Moretti, Giancarlo’s son, who relaunched the Vistosi brand. During the same period Vistosi acquired the brands Alox, G2 and Triade. Today, the company still produces the most beautiful lamps, some of them old classics.
The sole survivor of the original founders, Luciano, born 24 February 1930, dedicated himself to research and glass sculpture until his death (in Venice) on 14 Mai 2010.