Vistosi Orange Onion Pendant Lamp
Materials: Orange Murano hand blown clear crystal glass. The inside is white (incamiciato). Bakelite socket, steel wire. some metal parts.
Cord Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: 44 cm / 17,32”
Width: ∅ 39 cm / 15,35”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But a white/opaque or frosted one is preferred. Clear bulbs creates stripes on the glass and therefor also on the walls.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Alessandro Pianon (1931 – 1984).
Manufacturer: Vistosi, Murano, Italy.
Other versions: Also made as table lamp and floor lamp. Many different sizes and colours were produced. A red Onion pendant light on this website: Vistosi Red Onion Pendant Lamp.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass.
Alessandro Pianon was born in Venice, Italy in 1931 where he died in 1984. He studied architecture at the Venice University. In 1956 he worked at Vistosi‘s, designing its logo. In 1962 he opened his own design studio.
Alessandro Pianon designed this onion pendant lamp in the late 1950s. It was produced for several years. It is characteristic of Alessandro’s design vocabulary: simple, geometric shapes and monochrome colours.
None of these pendant lamps are identical and are all handmade (hand blown). This lamp is an early edition. The 1950s-1960s labels of Vistosi and Murano are present.
Vistosi was created by Guglielmo Vistosi in Murano in 1945 focusing on lighting. After his premature death his sons Gino and Luciano, joined their uncle Oreste in the founding of the Vistosi company.
In 1956 Alessandro Pianon, a Venetian Architect, joined the company. Together with second generation Luciano and Gino Vistosi they gave a swing to the company focusing on innovation and design.
The company has employed some very relevant designers such as Angelo Mangiarotti, Gae Aulenti. Peter Pelzel, Ettore Sottsass Jr., Adalberto Dal Lago. Vico Magistretti, Enrico Tronconi and so on.
In 1989 Giancarlo Moretti, a businessman from Murano with a long experience in the glass sector with Vetrofond and Punto Luce, acquires the prestigious brand, giving birth to Vetreria Vistosi.
The sole survivor of the original founders, Luciano, born 24 February 1930, dedicated himself to research and glass sculpture until his death (in Venice) on 14 Mai 2010.