Peill + Putzler Lime/Green Pendant Lamp
Materials: Hand blown olive green rounded and curved crystal glass, white on the inside (incamiciato). White painted metal ring and white painted turned wood on top. Bakelite socket.
Cord Length: 60 cm / 23.62’’
Height: 36 cm / 14.17”
Width: ∅ 26 cm / 10.23”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Peill + Putzler, Düren, (West) Germany.
Other versions: This Peill + Putzler lime/green pendant lamp was made in several colours, sizes and variations. These lamps were also sold by Massive, Belgium and probably some other companies. Olive green glass turns into yellow/lime when lit. It were popular colours at that period. Many other companies produced lamps in this colour and style.
Incamiciato: Overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass. It’s an Italian word, because the technique was invented on the Murano Island of Venice.
Peill + Putzler
Glashüttenwerk Peill und Sohn was founded in 1903 in Düren, a small town in (West) Germany. Peill und Sohn merged with Putzler (founded in 1869) in 1947 as a glass works and lighting company and became Peill + Putzler Glashüttenwerke.
The company always worked with important designers such as Wilhelm Wagenfeld, William Brown, Helmut Demary, Aloys Ferdinand Gangkofner, Horst Tüselmann and many others.
In the 1950s 1500 people were working for the company. They also produced glass for other light companies in Europe, such as Raak, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
In 1995 the production of glass and lighting moved to Slovenia, Poland and the Czech Republic. Only the trading of lamps en glass stayed in Düren. 1 year after the 100st anniversary in 2004, bankruptcy was filed.
In 2007 the name Peill + Putzler was re-used for a while for the Wagenfeld lighting of the German lighting company of Paul Neuhaus.
Today the Peill + Putzler factory is called Glashütte Düren and is converted to many other businesses and conference center.