Vintageinfo – All About Vintage Lighting

Last Viewed

  • AV Mazzega blue & white glass chandelier design: Carlo Nason flower shaped Murano glass lampshade 1970s 1980s

Vintageinfo Google Search

The content of this website is subject to copyright. It is forbidden to copy the text for any purpose, including commercial uses such as the sale of lamps through e-commerce websites. Please respect the work of the owner. Thank you in advance.

All Rights Reserved. Please link to the items, do not copy!

Carlo Nason LT 338 Pendant Lamp

Materials: 4 stacked hand blown half-round clear Murano bubble glass (pulegoso) lampshades. Metal tube, rings and parts. Bakelite E27 socket.

Cord: This one has an adjustable rise & fall mechanism (40 – 140 cm / 15.74 – 55.11”). It can be easily adjusted in height by grabbing the lamp with both hands, and pulling it gently.

Height: 25 cm / 9.84”

Width: ∅ 50 cm / 19.68”

Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 150 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. 

Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.

Designer: Carlo Nason.

Manufacturer: AV Mazzega, Murano, Italy.

Other versions: This Carlo Nason LT 338 pendant lamp exists with or without rise & fall mechanism. It was also made as a floor lamp. Since 2017 a re-edition is made by Mazzega 1946. Without a rise & fall mechanism and with a brushed copper or polished bronze tube on top.

AV Mazzega

AV Mazzega was founded in 1946 by Angelo Vittorio Mazzega. In 1950 his son Gianni Bruno Mazzega started working in the family’s glass factory.

Today, under the watchful eye of Andrea Mazzega, grandson of Angelo Vittorio, the company works together with high-level international designers. Andrea is the president of the company since 2000. Today the company is named Mazzega 1946.

Designers that worked for AV Mazzega – Mazzega 1946 are among others: Carlo NasonAldo Nason, Christophe Pillet, Michele De Lucchi, Giovanni Barbato, Paolo Piva, Sam Baron, Gasmi Chafik, Oriano Favaretto and Riccardo Giovanetti.

Carlo Nason

Carlo Nason

Born in Murano in 1935 he grew up in one of the oldest families of Murano glass makers where experts introduced him to the most refined techniques. In the 60s he worked for the family glass works Nason & C.

He quickly started to collaborate with other glass workshops, with special attention for modern design and achieving a combination of technique and craftsmanship which characterizes all his projects. Carlo has always shown an attitude for innovation without losing his tradition.

From 1965 until 1980 he designed the complete collection of AV Mazzega, that today is an icon of vintage: the creation of the highest quality at the level of its design.

Carlo Nason designed for De Majo, LeucosAlt Lucialternative, Gallery Vetri D`Arte, Murano Due, Vetreria Vistosi, Vetreria Carlo Moretti, Vetreria Livio Seguso, Gruppo Firme di Vetro di Salzano, Selenova and several other companies.

Not only he designed glass objects, he designed ceramics for Baldelli, ski shoes for Garmont; consultant for Casinos Austria International in Vienna and worked on graphics for several companies.

iTRE

In 1975 he founded his own company iTRE. Since 2002 the company is owned by FDV Group S.p.A., better known as LEUCOS. Many well-known designers worked for the iTRE company.

Not only is he a designer, he is also passionate about photography. In the 60s and 70s he has won numerous competitions.

Carlo’s work can be found in several museums. The Museum of Modern Art  MoMA in New York, USA, the Triennale Design Museum in Milan, Italy. The Corning Museum of Glass in New York has a large collection of his works.

Pulegoso

Italian word taken from the dialect word pulega, which means bubble. The glass is containing numerous bubbles of all sizes, produced by adding bicarbonate/soda, gasoline, or other substances to the glass. The bubbles make the glass semi-opaque and give the surface an irregular texture. The technique was developed in the 1920s by Napoleone Martinuzzi (1892-1977) on the island of Murano, Italy and used for the first time by the famous Venini company.