AV Mazzega Eclipse Pendant Lamp
Materials: Murano hand blown crystal green and yellow glass. Transparent coloured outside, white on the inside (incamiciato). Metal chain and aluminium parts. Bakelite socket.
Chain Length: 80 cm / 31.49’’
Height: ∅ 40 cm / 15,75”
Width: ∅ 40 cm / 15,75”
Electricity: 1 bulb E27, 1 x 75 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb with an E27 screw base can be used. For this pendant lamp preferable a opaque/white or frosted globe bulb.
Period: 1960s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Carlo Nason (born 1935) – attributed.
Manufacturer: AV Mazzega, Murano Italy.
Other versions: Made in many colours and a different suspension during the years of production. Also made in a smaller version and as a chandelier with several lamps together.
The design of this lamp is always attributed to Carlo Nason. Probably true, but this one is made in the early 1960s. Nason started to work for AV Mazzega in the late 1960s.
Incamiciato: overlay lattimo glass (= milky looking glass) with a layer of transparent coloured glass.
AV Mazzega was founded in 1946 by Angelo Vittorio Mazzega. In 1950 his son Gianni Bruno Mazzega started working in the family’s glass factory. Gianni Bruno Mazzega is responsible for the creation of many beautiful lamps, maybe this one.
Today, under the watchful eye of Andrea Mazzega, grandson of Angelo Vittorio, the company works together with high-level international designers. Andrea is the president of the company since 2000.
Born in Murano in 1935 he grew up in one of the oldest families of Murano glass makers were experts introduced him to the most refined techniques. He quickly started to collaborate with other glass workshops, with special attention for modern design and achieving a combination of technique and craftsmanship which characterizes all his projects.
Carlo has always shown an attitude for innovation without loosing his tradition.
He has chosen AV Mazzega most of all in the 70s and 80s to develop all the collection, that today is an icon of vintage: the creation of the highest quality at the level of its design.
Photo of the old factory on the Murano island, taken in October 2014