AV Mazzega Floor Lamp
Materials: Chromed metal (iron) round base. 3 chrome rings. Metal rod and parts. 3 clear and white mottled hand blown glass segments. Made of two layers of glass. 1 glass globe, made of clear and white hand blown bubble glass (pulegoso). 7 silver painted Bakelite sockets.
Height: 110 cm / 43.30”
Globe: ∅ 34 cm / 13.38”
Base: ∅ 31 cm / 12.20”
Electricity: 7 bulbs E27, 7 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. For this setup clear bulbs were used.
Period: 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Carlo Nason.
Manufacturer: AV Mazzega, Murano Italy.
Other versions: Different sizes and colours. Many variations were designed. Also made as a table lamp.
AV Mazzega was founded in 1946 by Angelo Vittorio Mazzega. In 1950 his son Gianni Bruno Mazzega started working in the family’s glass factory.
Today, under the watchful eye of Andrea Mazzega, grandson of Angelo Vittorio, the company works together with high-level international designers. Andrea is the president of the company since 2000. Today the company is named Mazzega 1946.
Designers that worked for AV Mazzega – Mazzega 1946 are among others: Carlo Nason, Aldo Nason, Christophe Pillet, Michele De Lucchi, Giovanni Barbato, Paolo Piva, Sam Baron, Gasmi Chafik, Oriano Favaretto and Riccardo Giovanetti.
Italian word taken from the dialect word pulega, which means bubble. The glass is containing numerous bubbles of all sizes, produced by adding bicarbonate/soda, gasoline, or other substances to the glass. The bubbles make the glass semi-opaque and give the surface an irregular texture. The technique was developed in the 1920s by Napoleone Martinuzzi (1892-1977) on the island of Murano, Italy and used for the first time by the famous Venini company.
Born in Murano in 1935 he grew up in one of the oldest families of Murano glass makers where experts introduced him to the most refined techniques. In the 60s he worked for the family glass works Nason & C.
He quickly started to collaborate with other glass workshops, with special attention for modern design and achieving a combination of technique and craftsmanship which characterizes all his projects. Carlo has always shown an attitude for innovation without losing his tradition.
From 1965 until 1980 he designed the complete collection of AV Mazzega, that today is an icon of vintage: the creation of the highest quality at the level of its design.
Carlo Nason designed for De Majo, Leucos, Alt Lucialternative, Gallery Vetri D`Arte, Murano Due, Vetreria Vistosi, Vetreria Carlo Moretti, Vetreria Livio Seguso, Gruppo Firme di Vetro di Salzano and several other companies.
Not only he designed glass objects, he designed ceramics for Baldelli, ski shoes for Garmont; consultant for Casinos Austria International in Vienna and worked on graphics for several companies.
In 1975 he founded his own company iTRE. Since 2002 the company is owned by FDV Group S.p.A., better known as LEUCOS. Many well-known designers worked for the iTRE company.
Not only is he a designer, he is also passionate about photography. In the 60s and 70s he has won numerous competitions.
Carlo’s work can be found in several museums. The Museum of Modern Art MoMA in New York, USA, the Triennale Design Museum in Milan, Italy. The Corning Museum of Glass in New York has a large collection of his works.
All the electric parts were made by VLM Components in the 1970s. The company was founded in 1945 in Buccinasco, a small village near Milan, Italy. The company became famous for the switches they produce since 1968, designed by Achille Castiglioni. You can find them over here. VLM is part of the Relco Group, founded in 1967. Today they are the owners of the brands Relco, Leuci, Relco Lighting, VLM and Segno.
This AV Mazzega floor lamp is equiped with the double single pole foot switch model D-662 from VLM. It was also designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968 and is still in production (2017). The top, bottom and middle parts of this floor lamp can switched on independently.