1950s Aluminor Bedside Lamp
Materials: Vanilla-ochre-cream painted iron base. Galvanised iron bottom. Brass goose-neck. Vanilla-ochre-cream painted aluminium lampshade. Painted with wrinkle paint, white painted inside. Bakelite E14 socket.
Height: 20 cm / 7.87” – adjustable.
Lampshade: ∅ 6,5 cm / 2.55”
Base: ∅ 7 cm / 2.75”
Electricity: 1 bulb E14, 1 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, not a specific one preferred. But a small one creates the best result.
Period: 1950s, 1960s – Mid-Century modern.
Designer: To be appraised.
Manufacturer: Aluminor, Contes, France.
Other versions: This 1950s Aluminor bedside lamp exists in several varieties. Slight differences in the lampshade and made in many colours.
André Lavigne established Aluminor in Nice at the Côte d’Azur – the French Riviera in 1950 to manufacture camera shutters. A year later the company grows and develops into manufacturing lighting appliances, first as a subcontractor, then with its own products. In 1974 they moved to the Contes and they started to export their lighting to the United States. Over the years the company expanded and built a number of new workshops. The company still exists and they still produce lighting.
All the electric parts were made in the 1950s by VLM Components. VLM Components was founded in 1945 in Buccinasco, a small village near Milan, Italy. VLM Components is part of the Relco Group, founded in 1967. Today they are the owners of the brands Relco, Leuci, Relco Lighting, VLM Components and Segno. VLM Components became famous for the switches they produce which were designed by Achille Castiglioni in 1968.
Aluminor bedside lamps
Big collection of 1950s/1960s table lamps in perfect condition, never used! These lamps came from a barracks on the Italian island of Sicily. They were the spare lamps for the recruits.