27 Discs Murano Chandelier
Materials: 27 Murano hand blown clear and orange crystal glass discs. Metal chromed frame. Bakelite sockets.
Chain Length: 60 cm / 23.62”
Height: 55 cm / 21.65”
Width: ∅ 50 cm / 19.68”
Electricity: 6 bulbs E14, 6 x 40 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used, but clear or bright bulbs are preferred.
Period: 1950s, 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Gino Vistosi (1925-1980) – attributed.
Other versions: Different sizes and colours, more or less discs, wall lamp, flush mount, table lamp.
In Germany and some other countries in Europe acrylic discs chandeliers were produced among others by Aro Leuchte (Arnold Licht GmbH) from Borken.
It is always said that Gino Vistosi designed these lamps, but all of the light producers on the Murano island made them. It was a big hit and they were made for more than 50 years. Few are marked or have a label. The largest producer was AV Mazzega.
Today (2019) new chandeliers are in production. Also spare discs can be ordered. But if it has to be certain colours, it is obviously more difficult to produce them.
AV Mazzega was founded in 1946 by Angelo Vittorio Mazzega. In 1950 his son Gianni Bruno Mazzega started working in the family’s glass factory. Gianni Bruno Mazzega is responsible for the creation of many beautiful lamps.
Today, under the watchful eye of Andrea Mazzega, grandson of Angelo Vittorio, the company works together with high-level international designers. Andrea is the president of the company since 2000. The company is renamed in Mazzega 1946; the year AV Mazzega was founded.
Designers that worked for AV Mazzega – Mazzega 1946 are among others Carlo Nason, Aldo Nason, Christophe Pillet, Michele De Lucchi, Giovanni Barbato, Paolo Piva, Sam Baron, Gasmi Chafik, Oriano Favaretto and Riccardo Giovanetti.
Vistosi was created by Guglielmo Vistosi in Murano in 1945 focusing on lighting. After his premature death his sons Gino and Luciano, joined their uncle Oreste in the founding of the Vistosi company.
In 1956 Alessandro Pianon, a Venetian Architect, joined the company and together with second generation Luciano and Gino Vistosi they gave a swing to the company focusing on innovation and design.
The company has employed some very relevant designers such as Angelo Mangiarotti, Gae Aulenti, Peter Pelzel, Ettore Sottsass Jr., Adalberto Dal Lago, Alessandro Pianon, Michele De Lucchi, Marco Zanuso, Vico Magistretti, Enrico Tronconi, Eleanore Peduzzi-Riva, Albert Leclerc, Alberto Meda, Liisi Meronen Beckmann and so on.
Luciano Vistosi designed several items for the company using the pseudonym Michael Red.
In 1989 Giancarlo Moretti, a businessman from Murano with a long experience in the glass sector with Vetrofond and Punto Luce, acquires the prestigious brand, giving birth to Vetreria Vistosi. In the 1990s the factory closed for a couple of years. It was reopened by Matteo Moretti, Giancarlo’s son, who relaunched the Vistosi brand. During the same period Vistosi acquired the brands Alox, G2 and Triade. Today, the company still produces the most beautiful lamps, some of them old classics.
The sole survivor of the original founders, Luciano Vistosi, born 24 February 1930, dedicated himself to research and glass sculpture until his death (in Venice) on 14 Mai 2010.
Luciano Vistosi, Lino Tagliapietra & Alfredo Barbini: Masters of Murano
Many thanks to Frank from Flowermountain.be for the photos and the enthusiasm.