Sciolari Chrome & Misty Glass Chandelier
Materials: Chromed metal (iron) curved rods, rings, tubes and screws. 6 clear & white “misty” or “milky” crystal half round tubular hand blown glass lampshades, open below. Bakelite E27 sockets.
Total Height (with rod): 110 cm / 43.30”
Width: ∅ 60 cm / 23.62”
Electricity: 6 bulbs E27, 6 x 60 watt maximum, 110/220 volt.
Any type of light bulb can be used. But preferably clear or bright round small bulbs.
Period: 1960s, 1970s – Mid-Century Modern.
Designer: Angelo Gaetano Sciolari (1927-1994).
Manufacturer: Sciolari Illuminazione, Corso Di Francia, Rome, Italy.
Other versions: This Sciolari chrome & misty glass chandelier exists in a smaller version. Also wall lamps exists. The glass was used for several other models.
Angelo Gaetano Sciolari
Angelo Sciolari graduated with a degree in architecture but wanted to be a filmmaker. This course came to an abrupt end when in 1949 his father suddenly died and he took over the Sciolari lighting company at the age of 22.
His first designs in the 50’s were Sputnik inspired pendants; of course it was the space age.
In the 1960s he created refined, futuristic and sharp classical style chandeliers. Lines were clean and sculptural and materials such as crystal and ice glass sparkled with a voluptuously luxurious coolness and he started combining brass with chrome.
He led the family business with a passionate vision and within years, he expanded the business and started working with other light companies worldwide.
Gaetano Sciolari created lights for Stilnovo and Stilkronen (Italy), Lightolier and Progress Lighting (USA), S.A. Boulanger (Belgium), Helestra and Leola (West Germany), Lyfa (Denmark) and some other companies and of course for his own Italian family business; the Sciolari company in Rome and Milan; where all the lighting business at that time was present.
Sciolari was the founder and the first president of the trade association of Italian manufacturers of lighting fixtures, the AIDI. The Associazione Italiana di Illuminazione was founded in 1958 and still exists today.